Writing is my key strength. Check out some of my work in different areas below.
- Science – I am a self-avowed science geek, and I love staying up to date on breaking science news. During my time with the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, I freelanced for their Science and Medicine Desk. Here’s a piece I wrote on the Phipps Center for Sustainable Landscapes, one of the greenest buildings in the world.
- Medicine – I’m also one of those people who loves the New York Times Diagnosis column. I read about the History of Medicine for fun. Really. Here and here are a two-part series I wrote for the Post-Gazette on the problem of chronic pain and local treatment options.
- Environment – Protecting the environment is important to me, so this is another area I love to write about. Here’s a profile I wrote about Linda McKenna Boxx, the guiding force behind the creation of the Great Allegheny Passage.
- Education – I taught college students during my graduate work at both Ohio State University and University of Pittsburgh, and I’m an advocate for education at every age. Here is an as-yet-unpublished piece I did for the Chatham University’s alumni magazine on the newly founded Women’s Institute and its leader, Jessie Ramey.
- Civil Engineering and Infrastructure – I’m proud to say I’ve worked with the Pennsylvania sections of the American Society of Civil Engineers for a long time, including overseeing every aspect of the writing, advocacy and PR for the 2010 Report Card for Pennsylvania’s Infrastructure. I heart infrastructure, and I’ll be glad to talk to you about why.